Brighton Beach man hospitalized after scalding shower

A Brighton Beach man took a shower Saturday morning, then had to rush to the hospital.



In a video Stephen Christopher shot of his running water, he describes how it comes out normal one moment and then piping hot the next.



Christopher, who has lived in his apartment for three years, says the hot water gave him second-degree burns.



The Department of Buildings stipulates that tap water should not exceed 140 degrees Fahrenheit, but a doctor at Kings County Hospital says that Christopher's water was likely close to 150 degrees.



A representative for the property manager says the building's water is regulated with a heat timer system independently monitored by a third-party vendor. A team was sent to evaluate the building's system.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."