Ceiling collapses in family's NYCHA apartment

A Brooklyn family of seven has no place to stay after their living room and kitchen collapsed in their New York City Housing Authority home.



Van Truong and her family have for months been complaining about ceiling leaks and wet mold in their home of three years. When the ceiling collapsed earlier in the week, the family says they could look out and see the sun.



Friday morning, a piece of drywall dropped onto Truong's husband, costing him a trip to the emergency room.



The family says NYCHA promised a new apartment as soon as possible, but it is taking too long and the family doesn't feel safe spending the night in their home.



A spokesperson from NYCHA told News 12, "This is absolutely unacceptable and NYCHA holds itself to a higher standard. No family should be subjected to this and our staff is working to make repairs as quickly as possible."


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."