Suspect pleads not guilty in 2005 murder case
A man accused in a 2005 slaying pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder Friday in Brooklyn Supreme Court.
After multiple delays in court proceedings, Kwauhuru Govan's attorney says the suspect voluntarily gave authorities his fingerprints on Thursday, allowing his arraignment to go forward.
Govan last week shouted at officers and refused to comply when they first sought his prints. A judge had authorized the Department of Corrections to involuntarily get his prints.
Govan is accused in the 2005 slaying of 19-year-old Rashawn Brazell, who was found dismembered in a subway tunnel. His attorney said Friday that Govan was related to Brazell.
The suspect was already in custody in connection with another cold-case killing from 2004 when he was charged in the Brazell case. Prosecutors say he killed 17-year-old Sharabia Thomas, whose nude body was discovered in an alley.
Govan is due back in court May 12.