FDNY saves man trapped by flames in roof-rope rescue
A man trapped on the third floor of a burning building in Brownsville was saved by firefighters who performed a roof-rope rescue.
Officials say the fire sparked shortly after 7 a.m. at Zion House of Faith Church. They say it started on the first floor but quickly spread up to the third.
Firefighters Andrew Scharf and Todd Bernner say the only way to get to the man, who was a resident living on the third floor, was through a window.
Scharf, connected by a rope, was lowered from the roof of the building down to the third-floor window.
Once at the window, Scharf grabbed the man and connected him to the rope. Bernner then lowered both men to safety.
The man was rushed to Downstate Medical Center with minor injuries and has been released.
According to the FDNY, use of roof-rope rescues are so rare that about 10 years can pass without the technique ever being used.