Attorney general's office warns residents to beware of fraudulent claims
Attorney General Eric Scheniderman's office has a warning for consumers - beware of fraudulent claims.
Last year, his office received nearly 20,000 complaints of fraud.
He said the top 10 frauds of 2016 in New York were:
1. Internet services and service providers to data privacy and security to consumer frauds.
2. Automobile, like buying, leasing or repair fraud.
3. Consumer-related services like security systems, restaurants and catering businesses.
4. Disputes between landlords and tenants.
5. Utilities, including a phone company or electric company.
6. Credit, including debt collection, credit card billing and identity theft.
7. Retail sales.
8. Home repair/construction, home improvement services not delivered or done poorly.
9. Mortgage modifications, mortgage and loan broker fraud
10. Mail order fraud
Schneiderman's office has set up a website and a phone number that can be used to report fraud.