Verizon fined $140,000 in death of technician in BK
Verizon has been fined more than $140,000 for safety violations in connection with the electrocution of a technician in Brooklyn.
Douglas Lalima was installing cables from a lift bucket in Brownsville when he came in contact with a power line back in September. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) found that the bucket was too close to the power line and that Lalima lacked insulation gloves, along with adequate training.
A spokesperson for Verizon says the company doesn't believe the death was a result of failing to follow safety requirements and plans to appeal the fine.