Police: 2 bodies found in rubble of explosion site

Two bodies found in the rubble of Thursday's East Village explosion are believed to be those of two men who have been missing since the blast.



FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said Sunday that investigators believe the two missing men -- 26-year-old Moises Lucon and 23-year-old Nicholas Figueroa -- are the ones found in the wreckage, but he would not confirm that.



One of the victim's bodies was found 20 feet from the entrance of a sushi restaurant on the ground floor. The other body was found 20 feet away from the first, according to fire officials.



The families of the two victims have been notified that bodies were found.



Authorities believe that there are no other victims.



Mayor Bill de Blasio says someone may have improperly tapped a gas line before the explosion that injured 22 people, four of them critically.



Consolidated Edison said workers had discovered in August that a line had been illegally tapped.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."