Safety First: Electrical fires

Fire officials say electrical fires are the ones that cause the most fatalities.



Lt. Anthony Mancuso says about two-thirds of major fires are electrical. He says the most common problem is that people do not know the right way to use plugs and electrical outlets in their homes.



Mancuso says heating items such as irons, hair straighteners and blow dryers should be plugged directly into a wall socket and not into an extension cord or power supply. He adds that overloaded electrical blocks are a huge "no."



The FDNY says space heaters cause the biggest and deadliest fires.



"I think 50 percent of our problem fires or big fires, or maybe even fire deaths, are space heaters," said Mancuso.



Many people use their household radiators to dry clothes and towels, which Mancuso says is OK. However, that should never be done with space heaters.



The lieutenant says you should also check to make sure the space heater has an automatic shut-off feature if it tips over or overheats.



It is important to make sure all electrical equipment and items have a UL seal of approval, which lets you know that they have been tested.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."