Coney Island's Cyclone coaster reopens after snag

Thrill-seekers turned out to Coney Island today for the reopening of the famous Cyclone roller coaster, nearly a week after the ride broke down on what should have been its opening day.



Viewers sent pictures into News 12 right after the historic coaster broke down last Sunday on its first ride of the season.



The Luna Park president says last week was too cold for the ride's control system, but says everyone was safely evacuated. Extra checks were performed and an inspector with the Department of Buildings was examining rides to ensure safety, the president says.



The Luna Park staff feels confident that there will be no issues with the Cyclone going forward.



The ride will be open every weekend from now through Memorial Day, and after that, it will be open seven days a week through the summer season.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."