Student's choking death ruled an accident

The Department of Education has been cleared of any wrongdoing in the death of a student who choked at P.S. 368 in 2014. 



Dyasha Smith, 21, choked on a piece of food back on Oct. 28. Her mother blamed the school, saying the staff knew her daughter's food always had to be cut up. She also says her daughter, who was autistic, was required to have a one-on-one paraprofessional with her at all times.



The commissioner of investigation says school employees were not responsible for her death. He says the probe focused on whether Smith took a snack from a cabinet with a broken lock and that evidence suggests there was no negligence from the staff.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."