Expert gives gas safety tips

A building explosion in Borough Park that killed at least two and injured more than a dozen may have been caused by a gas leak.



Experts say there are measures homeowners can take to minimize the risk of leaking gas.



Certified home inspector Mike O'Malley says that no one should ever ignore a leak.



Gas can build up in a closed space and create a dangerous situation, he says. Once a room is filled with gas it becomes very explosive -- even the flick of a light switch could spark a blast.



O'Malley says that anyone who smells gas should open the windows and exit the building, then call 911.



He also says that when moving stoves people hire a licensed plumber to detach any gas lines.



He also has a way to make sure that connected pipes aren't leaking.



"Take a spray bottle with water and some liquid detergent -- that makes a soapy solution," O'Malley says. "Spray it on all the fittings. If you see a bubble forming...it will be a big bubble if there's a leak."


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."