Pier 6 tower plan passes by board of directors
Brooklyn Bridge Park's board of directors voted in favor of two new residential buildings at Pier 6 Tuesday, although many in the audience booed the decision.
The proposal was revised after activists filed a lawsuit last year and the city pulled its support last month over concerns about the development team's connections with Mayor Bill de Blasio's administration.
The revamped proposal calls for a 28-story tower and a 15-story tower.
The new plan calls for fewer housing units than the original proposal. As a result, they will also have less units designated for affordable housing.
Activists said they planned on suing again to overturn the board's decision.
The board has said the development will bring in around $2.7 million that it can use toward upkeep costs for Brooklyn Bridge Park.
Opponents criticized that financial model and called the development "completely unnecessary."
In a statement, the mayor's office defended the board's decision.
"Today's vote paves the way for vital park funding, pre-K space for our youngest students, good union jobs and sorely needed affordable housing at Brooklyn Bridge Park," the statement said.