Panel denies Black waiver to serve as schools chancellor

(AP) - Six members of an eight-member advisory panelappointed to weigh Cathie Black's qualifications to head New YorkCity's schools have voted to deny her a waiver that would allow thenoneducator to serve as chancellor. The committee voted in Manhattan on Tuesday, though stateEducation Commissioner David Stein is not required to follow theadvice of the panel in deciding whether to grant the waiver. Meanwhile, a Quinnipiac University pollreleased Tuesday found that 51 percent of New York City voterssurveyed said the Hearst magazine executive does not have the rightexperience to be chancellor. Just 26 percent said she does and 23 percent were undecided. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.7 percentagepoints.

Schools Chancellor Joel Klein steps down

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."