6 firefighters injured in Sunset Park blaze

Six firefighters were treated for injuries at an area hospital after trying to put out a fire at a two-family home on 52nd Street Saturday.

Officials say the fire started in the home around 2 p.m. and quickly spread to two neighboring buildings.

Fire investigators say the blaze appears to have been sparked by a mattress fire. Officials say a resident in the building tried to discard the mattress without calling for help.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and the six firefighters were taken to Maimonides Medical Center with minor injuries.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."