CO leak forces evacuations in Bed-Stuy

A carbon monoxide leak forced tenants out of their building in Bedford-Stuyvesant Thursday morning.

Armando Tafaro, who lives at 140 Ralph Ave., says he smelled gas and later discovered that the boiler in the basement was vibrating.

Firefighters who arrived on the scene evacuated the residents and shut off the gas. They say the boiler?s exhaust pipe cracked, leaking carbon monoxide. Tenants say they have CO detectors in their apartments, but they didn?t go off.

According to the Department of Buildings? Web site, the owner of the building has been receiving violations for the faulty boiler for the last three years.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."