School evacuated due to gas leak

St. Joseph's High School has been evacuated and cordoned off Thursday morning following a gas leak.

Fire officials say the leak at the school, located on Willoughby Street, was caused by a broken valve.

The 300 girls who attend St. Joseph's H.S. were taken to the courtyard of Metrotech, where they remained until the school contacted parents and asked them to pick up their children.

Sister Joan Gallaghaer, the principal of St. Joseph's, says none of the students were in class during the leak because they were celebrating liturgy at a nearby church.

The school is expected to be back in session Friday.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."