Fire destroys 3 East New York apartments

Multiple families were left homeless Monday evening after a three-alarm fire tore through a high-rise apartment building on Lincoln Avenue.

Neighbors say they saw smoke billowing from Linden Plaza and then heard a loud explosion. Some witnesses believe a propane tank left on the balcony of an apartment is to blame for sparking the flames.

Firefighters say the flames ignited on the bottom floor of the building, just above a supermarket on the ground floor. It took more than 100 firefighters to extinguish the fire, which damaged at least three apartments.

Three firefighters and two residents were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. Officials say members of the Red Cross were on hand to aid those displaced by the fire. Community members say they will raise money to help those made homeless by the destructive flames.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."