Families homeless after electrical cord ignites inferno

A blaze in Bedford-Stuyvesant left at least seven families homeless and sent several firefighters to the hospital Tuesday with minor injuries.

Residents at 145 Monroe St. say they awoke to smoke, flames and people yelling "fire." The flames were so intense that the heat blew out some windows. Two homes were affected.

The fire department has determined that an electrical cord under a bed started the fire. Darrell Carter managed to escape the fire that started in his bedroom, along with several other families.

The Red Cross is assisting displaced residents. "This is gonna be hard," said tenant Christine Hook. "I guess it's gonna be a new life. We don?t have no where to go, nothing to do."

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."