Mom mad after 6-year-old taped up at Red Hook school

A mother is warning parents about the dangers of mixing older and younger students after her son was attacked at a Red Hook school.

Rose Quintana is in the process of transferring her 6-year-old son, Aaron, out of P.S. 27 where she said a 14-year-old taped him up and slammed him into a stairwell on Oct. 12.Aaron has been home schooled since then, but hopes to be in his new school soon. "I don't want it to happen to anybody else," he said. "I want to warn the school too."Quintana said she was concerned when the Department of Education decided to have the school include kindergarten through 12th grade. "I knew something like this was going to happen, but I never knew it would be my son."

The DOE said the 14-year-old who was responsible has been suspended for bullying, intimidation and harassment. However, education officials dispute any tape was used.

The department defends the change to the school, saying it allows area high school students to remain close to home. The transition is expected to be complete by 2009.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."