Dozens await return to fire-damaged Melrose apartment

Dozens of Bronx families remain homeless and others are still dealing with the aftermath of a fire that broke out in their apartment building in July.

The six-alarm fire at 975 Walton Ave. broke out on July 18. Since then, one tenant says rain has damaged the ceiling of the building and that the structure is significantly weakened.

Some say they are concerned about the condition of their apartments once they return.

Tenants who were able to move back into their apartments have been living without gas for more than a month. They say their monthly electric bills have skyrocketed because of the problem.

Calls to management have not been returned. In the past, management has said that they are working with the city to quickly restore the gas and let all of the tenants back in.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."