Judge again delays Crown Heights shelter opening
A judge again delayed the opening of a homeless shelter in Crown Heights Tuesday, giving opponents more time to demonstrate that there could be harmful effects to their quality of life if it were to open.
"They need to show that it is detrimental to the community, to their environment, to their lifestyle, to their children," says attorney Jacqueline McMickens.
Neighbors have been highly critical of the Bergen Street shelter and say it's not fair to open another such facility in their neighborhood.
According to members of the Bergen Street Block Association, there are already 19 shelters operating in Crown Heights.
City officials say they plan on opening three more shelters in the area and a total of 90 shelters citywide.
"Today's ruling keeps 104 homeless seniors from being sheltered in their home borough and requires the use of more commercial hotel rooms that we otherwise would not have to rent," the Department of Homeless Services said in response to the judge's decision.
The Bergen Street shelter would house 104 men over 61 years old.
Last week a judge announced a previous temporary block on the opening of the shelter after dozens of residents filed a petition against it.
Opponents say they feel shelters should be spread out equally across all city neighborhoods.