2-alarm fire destroys Bed-Stuy home

2-alarm fire destroys Bed-Stuy home

Posted: Updated:
BEDFORD-STUYVESANT -

Two brothers were left without a home after a two-alarm fire destroyed their Bed-Stuy apartment Tuesday evening.

The fire broke on Kane Place between Atlantic Avenue and Herkimer Street around 11:30 p.m.

Anthony Fulton said he found out about the fire after a neighbor knocked on his door to tell him that his roof was on fire. He says everything inside the apartment was completely destroyed.

Officials say over 100 firefighters battled the blaze for about an hour before it was under control.

Fulton said he was told on the scene that a potential cause of the fire was an illegal firework that someone launched that landed on the roof of his home.  He said that since the roof is slanted, a firework fell there and sat burning for some time before it actually started smoking.

Firefighters could not confirm that fireworks were involved. 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."