Con Ed warns of phone scam

Posted: Updated:
BROOKLYN -

Con Edison is warning customers about a phone scam aimed at duping them out of money.

A Clinton Hill Mexican restaurant was among the targets last week, but a suspicious general manager turned the tables on the would-be fraudsters.

"They called here and said, 'Oh, I need to speak to the owner...We need to talk to him because we are going to send the Con Ed guy, because they didn't pay their bill,'" says Mario Subia, who grew suspicious and recorded the rest of the call with a cellphone.

The caller threatened to shut off utility service within an hour and demanded a cash payment.

Subia alerted owner Freddy Nacipucha, who was also suspicious.

"Something was up," he says. "They take it directly from my account. I don't have to worry about that."

Nacipucha says he used to own another restaurant in Park Slope that was similarly targeted.

Con Ed and the NYPD says residents and businesses should be suspicious of anyone who calls and says they are going to disconnect service.

  • Brooklyn Top StoriesBrooklyn Top StoriesMore>>

  • Officials: 33 injured in suburban Philadelphia train crash

    Officials: 33 injured in suburban Philadelphia train crash

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 5:08 AM EDT2017-08-22 09:08:16 GMT

    More than 30 people were injured when a train crashed into another train that was parked at a station in suburban Philadelphia.   

    More than 30 people were injured when a train crashed into another train that was parked at a station in suburban Philadelphia.   

  • Trump says US can't afford quick Afghanistan withdrawal

    Trump says US can't afford quick Afghanistan withdrawal

    Monday, August 21 2017 9:46 PM EDT2017-08-22 01:46:39 GMT

    President Donald Trump declared Monday night the United States must continue fighting in Afghanistan to avoid the "predictable and unacceptable" results of a rapid withdrawal from the country where the U.S. has been at war for 16 years.

    President Donald Trump declared Monday night the United States must continue fighting in Afghanistan to avoid the "predictable and unacceptable" results of a rapid withdrawal from the country where the U.S. has been at war for 16 years.

  • Man stabbed in neck at Coney Island deli

    Man stabbed in neck at Coney Island deli

    Monday, August 21 2017 7:53 AM EDT2017-08-21 11:53:42 GMT

    Police say they are searching for a suspect who stabbed a man in the neck at a deli in Coney Island. 

    Police say they are searching for a suspect who stabbed a man in the neck at a deli in Coney Island. 

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."