Officials: 1 dead, 7 victims hurt in Tennessee church shootingPosted: Updated:
By KRISTIN M. HALL
The Associated Press
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A masked gunman entered a church in Tennessee on Sunday and opened fire, killing at least one person and injuring seven others before apparently shooting himself, an official said.
Don Aaron, spokesman for the Metro Nashville Police Department, said the gunman arrived at the parking lot as services were ending at the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ in the neighborhood of Antioch. The suspect fatally shot a woman who was walking to her vehicle, then entered the rear of the church, and six people were shot. Aaron says a churchgoer who confronted the gunman was pistol-whipped by the suspect, who then shot himself.
The gunman and five others were treated for gunshot wounds at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Aaron said. One gunshot victim and the man who was pistol-whipped were taken to Skyline Medical Center for treatment.
Aaron said the condition of the suspect, in his 20s and from Rutherford County, wasn't believed to be life-threatening. He was under police guard. His name was not immediately released.
Aaron said he was "not aware" of any relationship between the alleged gunman and any of the worshippers inside the church. Congregants who witnessed the shootings were being interviewed by investigators.
The small, yellow brick church describes itself on its website as a "friendly, Bible-based group of folks who love the Lord and are interested in spreading His Word to those who are lost."
Photos on the church's Facebook page show a diverse congregation with people of various ages and ethnicities.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Texting while crossing the street could soon become illegal in New York state.Texting while crossing the street could soon become illegal in New York state.
- Whole Foods is banning plastic straws.Whole Foods is banning plastic straws.
- Se espera que uno de los supuestos pandilleros que atacó a Lesandro ‘Junior’ Guzman-Feliz en El Bronx continue su testimonio en corte hoy.
- As warmer weather leads many to switch from cars to bikes, there is a new proposal in Bay Ridge that supporters say would help protect cyclists is in the works.
- It's that time of year when many students are getting ready to graduate, and one young woman at St. Francis College is dedicated to leaving her mark.It's that time of year when many students are getting ready to graduate, and one young woman at St. Francis College is dedicated to leaving her mark.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.