Artwork unveiled in park to mark Polish independencePosted: Updated:
The Polish community celebrated 100 years of Poland regaining its independence with the unveiling of an art piece in McGorlick Park on Saturday.
The 3-foot ceramic orb, is located at the park's entranceway. It took artist Martynka Wawrzyniank three years to make.
Wawrzyniank used soil from 25 different countries to create the orb that she says signifies the memories of dozens of people from the community.
The piece is a collaboration between the New York City Parks and Greenpoint residents, and the artist got the chance to travel to Poland and collect the soil from different places where people had migrated from.
The orb is mean to be a symbol of unity, giving people who visit the park a chance to reflect on their past.
The celebration didn't end there, as people enjoyed live music, food and activities for children.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say a 26-year-old man was fatally shot in Prospect Heights Friday night.Police say a 26-year-old man was fatally shot in Prospect Heights Friday night.
- Several elected officials gathered in Flatlands Saturday to voice opposition to a proposal to legalize recreational marijuana in the state.
- It marked a judgment-free zone with the ultimate goals of listening, connecting and motivation.It marked a judgment-free zone with the ultimate goals of listening, connecting and motivation.
- Newly elected Rep. Max Rose was in Bay Ridge Saturday to host one of the first public town hall events of his term.
- CUNY students and supporters marched across the Brooklyn Bridge Saturday to demand that state lawmakers take action to address funding.
- It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!
- The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.
- With spring just days away, Newsday's Jennifer Berger shows News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen some hot toys that will be sure to warm up your spring!