College students help rebuild Puerto Rico after hurricanePosted: Updated:
Some students from CUNY schools like Medgar Evers College volunteered to help rebuild Puerto Rico as it recovers from last year's devastating Hurricane Maria.
Medgar Evers students Kerry-Ann Bryan and Bijou Diaou recently returned from the island territory, as part of the CUNY Service Corps, and say they had the experience of a lifetime.
They are two of seven Medgar Evers students selected to assist experts with repairing roofs, doors and windows.
More than 2,700 CUNY students applied to volunteer, and, after applications, interviews and essays, only 200 were selected. The volunteer service program is part of "NY Stands with Puerto Rico Recovery and Rebuilding," started by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
The students had been volunteering since the last week of June.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Un nuevo concurso de fotos busca poner presión al MTA para que limpie los vagones del metro mas seguido.
- The final trailer for the "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" debuted Monday, offering a fleeting glimpse of the late Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia embracing Daisy Ridley's Rey.
- Social media app TikTok has removed nearly two dozen accounts responsible for posting ISIS propaganda.
- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has been hospitalized after a fall at his home in Plains, Georgia.
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez showed support for who she thinks should be the next president of the United States as she attended a Bernie Sanders rally in Queens Saturday.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.