Construction begins on Flatbush pedestrian plazaPosted: Updated:
Flatbush is getting a new spot for pedestrians to stroll and relax in peace.
Construction is underway on a new pedestrian plaza along Hillel Place from Kenilworth Place to Flatbush Avenue.
The area will be permanently closed to traffic and will feature movable furniture. The plaza is based on other ones located around New York City.
The Department of Transportation says it hopes to improve the traffic safety at a busy intersection that is also a Vision Zero corridor.
While officials say the plaza will shorten pedestrian crossings and provide an alternate route around Nostrand Avenue to Hillel Place, some are lamenting less parking space and an inconvenience to drive around.
The DOT says, though, that they will open more parking spots a block away.
The DOT says construction should be completed by mid-August.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- An organization is boycotting a Flatbush bar after it says several women were assaulted there.An organization is boycotting a Flatbush bar after it says several women were assaulted there.
- Elected officials and anti-violence activists came together Monday night to remember the four people killed in a shooting over the weekend.
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams joins News 12 for this month's Ask the Borough President.Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams joins News 12 for this month's Ask the Borough President.
- New York City Schools were closed on Monday, but kids were still learning.New York City Schools were closed on Monday, but kids were still learning.
- A Brooklyn teen is dead after a car plunged off an overpass, landed on train tracks and caught on fire in Rockland County.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBK.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.