2 attacks on Orthodox Jewish men prompt rallyPosted: Updated:
Two attacks on Orthodox Jewish men over the past two days in Brooklyn inspired a rally by community members.
Video shows a 26-year-old man was hit by another man with a tree branch in Crown Heights, causing swelling to the victim's shoulder. Three men chased the suspect, 18-year-old Shervy Taylor, and held him until police arrived.
Taylor was charged with assault and menacing as a hate crime.
Just one day before, a man was attacked in the street in Borough Park, though the suspect was not charged with a hate crime. Prosecutors say there was no evidence of bias, though some disagree.
"We've already had 12 anti-Semitic assaults in New York state this year, there were 11 last year. Nine of those assaults happened in Brooklyn. That's a problem. That's a problem we need to recognize," says Evan Bernstein,of the Anti-Defamation League of New York and New Jersey.
Local business owners say they have heard of similar attacks in the past, and hope they will end.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.
- Musicians from Brooklyn are getting ready for an upcoming showcase that celebrates all things Dolly Parton.
- This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.
- The National Wreaths Across America Day movement aims to cover all Veterans graves with a Christmas wreath.
- Recent hacks into security camera systems like Ring have sparked concern among homeowners nationwide.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.