Founder: Bed-Stuy Volunteer Ambulance Corps in need of donationsPosted: Updated:
The founder of the Bedford-Stuyvesant Volunteer Ambulance Corps says a lack of donations and minimal funding is making it harder for them to stay on the job.
The nonprofit was founded in 1988 by James Robinson, now 78 years old. He says the corps’ goal is to respond to emergencies fast during situations where every second counts.
In the last year, volunteers with the nonprofit say they have responded to over 200 life-threatening emergencies. Their average response time is under 4 minutes, about 2 minutes faster than what the city can do, according to their estimates.
Robinson tells News 12 that it’s becoming more challenging to respond to calls because of their need for new equipment.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.
- Musicians from Brooklyn are getting ready for an upcoming showcase that celebrates all things Dolly Parton.Musicians from Brooklyn are getting ready for an upcoming showcase that celebrates all things Dolly Parton.
- This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.
- The National Wreaths Across America Day movement aims to cover all Veterans graves with a Christmas wreath.
- Recent hacks into security camera systems like Ring have sparked concern among homeowners nationwide.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.