#N12BK: FatbergsPosted: Updated:
According to Mayor Bill de Blasio, there are only four things that should go in your toilet.
The city launched a new public service announcement about a problem in the city sewers.
They’re called “fatbergs,” which are masses of clumped grease and personal hygiene products - such as “flushable” wipes, paper towels, cooking grease and tampons.
Cooking grease can cling to the inside of pipes and sewers and block them completely, causing flooding and sewer backups.
The city says if a product is labeled “flushable” it generally means it will clear the toilet bowl.
The city spends about $18.8 million a year to decrease sewers.
The city is urging residents to place anything other than “the four p’s” in the trash. "The four p's" are paper, poop, pee and puke.
Did you know about fatbergs?
- Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.
- Allergic reactions can be deadly.Allergic reactions can be deadly.
- Do you dread your commute?Do you dread your commute?
- When was the last time you wrote in cursive?When was the last time you wrote in cursive?
- Is subway graffiti making a comeback?Is subway graffiti making a comeback?