Fire officials: Brighton Beach boardwalk fire sparked by lit cigarette

Posted: Updated:
BRIGHTON BEACH -

A popular restaurant on the Brighton Beach boardwalk went up in flames Sunday night, and fire officials say they believe the fire started underneath the boardwalk.

Witness cellphone video shows the flames covering the bottom half of the five-story building where Tatiana Restaurant stands.

Fire officials say a lit cigarette left on a mattress underneath the boardwalk caused the fire. They believe it started a rubbish fire that worked itself up to the Brighton Beach restaurant and nightclub. The same area has dealt with two fires since 2003.

More than 100 firefighters came to the scene around 10 p.m. Sunday.

No injuries have been reported and residents in the above apartments have not been affected by the damage of the fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."