Niece of woman fatally struck by car urges drivers to slow downPosted: Updated:
The niece of a woman who was fatally struck by a car Monday is urging drivers to slow down and take caution.
Dolores Gonzalez says her aunt Maria del Carmen Porras-Hernandez worked hard and kept her loved ones close, including her 13-year-old daughter.
Police say the 49-year-old woman was killed when she was hit by a car on Coney Island and Church avenues Monday morning. She was rushed to the hospital where she was pronounced dead.
"I hope she leaves with the peace of mind that her daughter is going to be OK, she has all this family to take care of her," says Gonzalez. "Now all we ask is a couple of things. That we, as people, come close to each other. Always tell each other how much you love each other. Spend time together. Don't leave things for tomorrow because tomorrow isn't promised."
According to police, the driver, 63-year-old Claudette Crosby, stayed at the scene. She was arrested and charged with failure to yield to a pedestrian and failure to exercise due care.
Gonzalez is reminding New Yorkers to drive responsibly.
A spokesperson for the Department of Transportation says the intersection saw 52 crash-related injuries from 2013-2017. One of those was fatal.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.
- This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.
- The National Wreaths Across America Day movement aims to cover all Veterans graves with a Christmas wreath.
- Recent hacks into security camera systems like Ring have sparked concern among homeowners nationwide.
- Prospect Park was taken over with 5,000 festive runners Saturday for a 5K that raises money to make sure students stay active and healthy.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.