Sunset Park hotel guests evacuated due to manhole fire, high CO levels

Posted: Updated:
SUNSET PARK -

Hotel guests in Sunset Park were forced to spend the night on the street in the pouring rain after their hotel was evacuated.

It happened at around 10 p.m. Wednesday at the Insignia Hotel on 61st Street between 7th and 8th avenues.

The spokesperson for Con Edison says there was a smoking manhole outside which caused high carbon monoxide levels inside the hotel.

All of the guests were evacuated, and power was disconnected so that repairs can be made.

One of the guests who spoke to News 12 says they were allowed back into the hotel shortly after, but then a short time later they were evacuated again.

"The firemen knocked on our door very loud. I was a little bit scared and I open the door and saw firemen. They called us out, so we came out, all the guests in the hall and then we see all the smoke around this area," says hotel guest Jerry Hung.

As of about 5:30 a.m., all guests were allowed back into the hotel and the situation was determined to be under control.

News 12 is told one person was taken to the hospital with a non-life-threatening injury.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."