Authorities: Carbon Monoxide kills man in Williamsburg, 4 hospitalized

Posted: Updated:
WILLIAMSBURG -

Authorities say one man is dead and four others were taken to the hospital when they were affected by high levels of carbon monoxide in Williamsburg Saturday morning.

Police say they were called to 211 Jackson St. around 6 a.m. They found high carbon monoxide levels in the two-story building.

They say one of the victims called authorities when he found the man unresponsive.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and undetectable to humans. It's produced when fuels don't burn properly.

The FDNY says they found a generator inside that they believe to be the source of the fumes.

Authorities say they believe the people in the building were squatters. Neighbors tell News 12 the building has been abandoned for a while, and that they've seen people going in and out who don't appear to live there.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."