Activists rally to save Duffield Houses from demolitionPosted: Updated:
Preservationists rallied Tuesday in a bid to save a building with history dating back to the 19th century.
They are urging the city to step in before the Duffield Houses get demolished in favor of a new apartment building. Activists say that would erase the building's distinction as a former haven for abolitionists.
With the backing of a widely circulated petition, activists brought their case straight to the Landmarks Preservation Commission. The agency says the request to evaluate the building as a landmark is still under review.
Developers have taken the initial steps to demolish the current structure and build the new apartment, but the Department of Buildings says demolition has not been scheduled and permits have not been issued for work to begin. News 12 is told the application at this point is still incomplete.
But that comes as little comfort to the dedicated group of preservationists, who aren't letting the Duffield Houses go without a fight.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say two officers were injured in a car crash in Flatlands Saturday night.Police say two officers were injured in a car crash in Flatlands Saturday night.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- One Brooklyn man is asking the city to prevent crashes before they happen.One Brooklyn man is asking the city to prevent crashes before they happen.
- Thousands of survivors, care givers, volunteers and supporters laced up their sneakers for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K Walk Sunday.
- Police say they're searching for a woman wanted in connection to a car break-in in Midwood on Sept. 19.
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez showed support for who she thinks should be the next president of the United States as she attended a Bernie Sanders rally in Queens Saturday.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBK.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.