40 Brooklyn residents seek judge's help with living conditionsPosted: Updated:
More than three dozen Brooklyn residents across 12 different apartment buildings say the living conditions are so unbearable that they're turning to a judge for help.
"The management of (Northeast Brooklyn Housing Development Corporation) has shown a blatant and consistent disrespect for their tenants," said Pamela Tyler, who has lived at 477 Saratoga Ave. for 27 years.
Tyler showed News 12 leaks in her kitchen and bathroom, broken outlets, and issues with her apartment door.
"The lock gets stuck and sometimes I can't get out," she said.
NEBHDCO is a Brooklyn nonprofit that runs three companies that own the buildings. The CEO was named the second-worst landlord in the city last year.
After the nonprofit filed for bankruptcy, many tenants filed a case in housing court in 2018 to get necessary repairs made. However the bankruptcy filing halted their efforts. Now, they're asking the judge to appoint a trustee to take control of their apartments.
The judge scheduled an evidentiary hearing Wednesday for Oct. 2.
"I'm trying to help myself and get in a better position, a safe environment to live," Tyler said.
Requests to NEBHDCO for comment were not immediately returned.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say two officers were injured in a car crash in Flatlands Saturday night.Police say two officers were injured in a car crash in Flatlands Saturday night.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- One Brooklyn man is asking the city to prevent crashes before they happen.One Brooklyn man is asking the city to prevent crashes before they happen.
- Thousands of survivors, care givers, volunteers and supporters laced up their sneakers for the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K Walk Sunday.
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez showed support for who she thinks should be the next president of the United States as she attended a Bernie Sanders rally in Queens Saturday.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBK.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.