Safety experts promote CO detectors

This week is National Fire Prevention Week, and the FDNY is promoting smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.



According to the CDC, more than 400 Americans die every year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.



National Grid recommends residents check their chimneys for debris or other blockages, keep space heaters in good condition and never use gas stoves for heating.



Alarms should be checked while in use and replaced every 10 years.



Experts say that a carbon monoxide detector is a crucial part of preventing CO poisoning because the gas is invisible and carries no odor.



Anyone who suspects carbon monoxide may be present in a building should leave the area before calling for help.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."