Fire officials rule fatal Brownsville fire was accidental

Fire officials have ruled that a Brownsville fire that took the life of a 1-year-old boy Wednesday was accidental.



They say an electrical issue sparked the flames at the Howard Houses on Mother Gaston Boulevard.



News 12 has been told that there were seven people inside the 13th-floor apartment where the fire started.



Among them was 1-year-old Ivan Baez, who was pronounced dead at Brookville Hospital.



The six others were treated for smoke inhalation and other injuries. They are expected to be OK.



 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."