NY emergency boss axed for using crew during Sandy

(AP) - A state official confirms that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo fired his emergency management director for diverting crews to remove a tree from his Long Island driveway during Superstorm Sandy.

The official said Director of Emergency Management Steven Kuhr was let go after the governor was told Kuhr called a Suffolk County crew to remove a felled tree from his driveway on Long Island. Kuhr was working in Albany at the time last week, shortly after Sandy hit.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the personnel decision wasn't announced. The New York Times first reported the action.

Kuhr was paid $153,000 as executive deputy commissioner of the state Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Services.

A phone number listed in Kuhr's name was not working Wednesday night.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."