Officials blame faulty wiring for church fire

Officials are blaming faulty wiring for a fire that damaged a Bed-Stuy church Wednesday.



The Mount Sinai Baptist Church on Gates Avenue caught fire around 1:30 a.m. in the entrance to its fellowship hall, they say.



The church has been at the location for 65 years, but has existed for at least 90 years.



The Rev. Curtis Whitney says it's a great loss for the community.



"We will bounce back, and I feel that there will be some good that comes out of this tragedy," he says.



The church works with the community supplying food at pantries and soup kitchens and had been scheduled to host an HIV awareness and screening event Thursday. 



Officials say no one was in the building during the fire.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."