Brooklyn readies for Super Tuesday frenzy

A large number of states are participating in the Feb. 5 primaries, including New York, leading to Super Tuesday frenzy.

This year's presidential primaries have even earned the title of "Super Duper Tuesday" by some. More than 20 states will participate in the contests to determine a Republican and Democratic presidential candidate before the general election.

In Brooklyn, nearly 4,000 new residents have registered to vote this year. The borough has nearly 400 polling sites and 2,000 voting machines.

In New York, only voters who have registered as either Republican or Democrat can take part in Super Tuesday. Elections officials say registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans by about 8-to-1 in the city.

Long Island University professor Diana Klebanow believes the war and the economy will factor heavily into the race.

In New York, Democrats hand out delegates by percentage, meaning if a candidate gets 60 percent of the vote, the candidate will be awarded six delegates at the nominating convention. The other candidate who received 40 percent of the vote will receive four delegates. Republicans choose to dole out their delegates based on an all-or-nothing system in New York. Whichever candidate pulls the highest percentage of the vote will receive the support of every delegate.

Officials say it's still anybody's race. "Because this is an earlier primary versus before?there are a couple of variables that make it very difficult for us to gauge," says Valerie Vasquez-Rivera, of the board of elections.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani made the decision easier for some Republicans when he announced Wednesday at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Library that he's dropping out after losing in Florida. He endorsed his friend, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Meanwhile, Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards also dropped out of the Democratic contest. Edwards has decided not to endorse anyone right away.

AP wire reports contributed to this report.

Excerpt of Edwards' announcement (courtesy of CNN)

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."