Brooklyn tenants demand rent stabilizationPosted: Updated:
Tenants throughout the borough came together Monday to demand that the New York City Rent Guidelines Board address the city's affordable housing crisis.
They marched through Monday's storms to a public hearing concerning the board's latest proposal for rent-stabilized apartments, lofts and hotels.
According to the Rent Justice Coalition, 43 percent of people in shelters come from rent-stabilized apartments.
One by one, tenants shared their personal stories with their landlords, explaining how higher rents would affect their lives.
While landlords historically push for increases to cover the rising costs of repairs and utilities, tenants say they cannot handle the prices. That's why some are asking the board to revise preferential rent leases.
The tenants say they hope the Rent Guidelines Board takes their stories into consideration when voting on the June 27.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- An organization is boycotting a Flatbush bar after it says several women were assaulted there.An organization is boycotting a Flatbush bar after it says several women were assaulted there.
- Elected officials and anti-violence activists came together Monday night to remember the four people killed in a shooting over the weekend.
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams joins News 12 for this month's Ask the Borough President.Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams joins News 12 for this month's Ask the Borough President.
- New York City Schools were closed on Monday, but kids were still learning.New York City Schools were closed on Monday, but kids were still learning.
- A Brooklyn teen is dead after a car plunged off an overpass, landed on train tracks and caught on fire in Rockland County.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBK.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.