DOT bans cars from Prospect Park for summerPosted: Updated:
Prospect Park will be car-free starting next Monday.
The East Drive is currently open to traffic during the morning rush, but that will no longer be the case from July 17 until the Monday after Labor Day.
The Department of Transportation announced the closure in partnership with NYC Parks and the Prospect Park Alliance. It says the car-free rule makes for a safer and cleaner park.
Parkgoers in the area say the car shutdown couldn't come soon enough.
"When I go for a bike ride, I won't have to worry whether the park is open to cars," says parkgoer Robert Frumkin. "In rush hour, it totally changes the park. It's not safe."
Frumkin says he is hopeful that this will lead to a permanent car-free park.
Drivers, however, are upset that they now will have to take an alternative route. Some say their commute will increase by about 30 minutes.
The DOT says there was very minimal impact on traffic when it closed the West Drive in Prospect Park to cars two years ago. It also says that summertime sees the least amount of car traffic in the park.
According to the DOT, the park sees about 300 vehicles and over 1,000 joggers, pedestrians and cyclists during the summertime peak hour.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- At least one person was injured in a police-involved shooting in Gowanus, according to officials.At least one person was injured in a police-involved shooting in Gowanus, according to officials.
- An off-duty NYPD officer took their own life in Queens Tuesday night, police say.An off-duty NYPD officer took their own life in Queens Tuesday night, police say.
- A gritty Cole held the New York Yankees scoreless without his sharpest stuff, Jose Altuve sparked Houston at the plate and the Astros locked down a 4-1 victory Tuesday to take a 2-1 lead in the AL Championship Series.
- Community members in Brighton Beach say they’ve been without running water for an entire month and want the city to take responsibility.
- A study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that STDs are on the rise - and several New York City boroughs were ranked among the top in the U.S. for the number of the diseases.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.