78-year-old Kosciuszko Bridge demolished to make way for new span

Posted: Updated:
BROOKLYN -

It is the end of the road for the old Kosciuszko Bridge.

The 78-year-old span was demolished Sunday to make way for two new state-of-the-art bridges. The first part of that new project was opened in April.

The bridge was taken down in a controlled implosion during a special ceremony led by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

"By dropping the spans intact we will ensure minimal dust and debris," said Wahid Albert, chief engineer of the Department of Transportation.

Albert also says that this approach has made the construction quicker and less expensive.

Sunday's demolition marked the last of two phases to scrap the old bridge. The middle section of the bridge had been removed in July.

VIDEO: Kosciuszko Bridge demolished

The demolition of the old bridge will allow space for the construction of a second span and officials say the $873 million project is necessary to alleviate traffic headaches.

Tickets for the demolition for nearby spots were distributed Saturday and traffic in the area was worse than normal.

The new Kosciuszko Bridge is expected to be completed in 2019 and will have nine lanes. It will also have a pathway for bikes and pedestrians.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."