Brooklyn man brings awareness to same-sex relationship abusePosted: Updated:
A Brooklyn man says that although he was in an abusive relationship in the past, he has found hope.
Jimmy says that as a gay man, he couldn't find any resources to help him.
"I knew nothing about where to go for anything," he says. "You don't see commercials, you don't see brochures, there are no shelters."
Jimmy says that his first move was to get an order of protection, but he hit a hurdle dealing with police officers.
"In the moment in time, you're just looked at as two men having a fight," he says. "It's much more than two men having a fight."
The obstacles he faced brought him to Sanctuary for Families, a nonprofit organization that provides resources to victims of gender violence.
"There's some myth that somehow the power and control issue doesn't happen in same-sex relationships, but it does," says Danette Wilson Gonzalez , of Sanctuary for Families.
Gonzalez supervises a mentorship program in which survivors help other survivors.
Jimmy is one of 20 survivors who speak at community events and help other survivors by telling their stories.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- As city leaders met Monday to try and come up with a solution to the up-tick in hate crimes, a disturbing discovery made in Bensonhurst.
- Se espera que uno de los supuestos pandilleros que atacó a Lesandro ‘Junior’ Guzman-Feliz en El Bronx continue su testimonio en corte hoy.
- Whole Foods is banning plastic straws.Whole Foods is banning plastic straws.
- Texting while crossing the street could soon become illegal in New York state.Texting while crossing the street could soon become illegal in New York state.
- As warmer weather leads many to switch from cars to bikes, there is a new proposal in Bay Ridge that supporters say would help protect cyclists is in the works.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.