Brooklyn man charged with terrorism in New York City

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK -

Authorities on Tuesday continued searching the Brooklyn home of the man accused in Monday's attempted terror attack under the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan.

After searching the Mill Basin, Brooklyn home of 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, investigators said they believe he was most likely radicalized in 2014 and that he carried out the attack in the name of the Islamic State group.

Investigators say they found bombmaking materials at the home. They say Ullah filled the pipe bomb with metal screws and that he planned the attack for a weekday to maximize the number of casualties. Three people, in addition to Ullah, were injured when the bomb went off.

"Ullah admitted that he began researching how to build bombs about a year ago and had been planning this particular attack for several weeks," said U.S. Attorney Joon Kim.

Ullah was charged in Manhattan federal court with terrorism and explosives charges, among others.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."