Doctor warns kids about dangers of Tide Pod ChallengePosted: Updated:
The latest internet trend of young people eating laundry detergent has doctors warning of serious side effects.
It's called the "Tide Pod Challenge," and like the name suggests, it involves eating a Tide detergent pod. Teens hope their videos of the challenge will go viral. Many have.
"This is not like eating something too spicy, this is something that is going to put a hole in a very bad place," says Dr. Howard Greller at St. Barnabas Hospital. "You would think that they're just soap. Some of them contain things that result in chemical burns to the eyes, to the mouth."
The American Association of Poison Control Centers says there were 12,299 reported cases of ingested laundry pods in 2017 -- and reports indicate a spike to start the new year.
For its part, Tide has begun a campaign urging the use of its products only for their intended purpose. The company even recruited NFL superstar Rob Gronkowski to warn teens of health risks.
Dr. Greller says that people who do ingest laundry detergent should flush with copious amounts of water and contact a poison control center.
"Eat candy, not pods," he says.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.
- Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.
- A Bushwick couple who felt places for people of color and the queer community were lacking has started their own community space.
- Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.
- New animated comedy on HBO Max pokes fun at British royal family
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!