Fire starts in tile store, scorches at least 6 businesses

Posted: Updated:
BATH BEACH -

A fire spread from a Bath Beach tile store and damaged at least a half dozen businesses early Thursday morning, according to the FDNY.

Officials said it sparked inside Universal Ceramic on 2162 Bath Ave. around 3:30 a.m. Firefighters didn't bring it under control until around 8 a.m. Investigators described it as an accidental electrical fire.

"It's terrible," said Leo Feldman, the store owner. "I've been here almost for 20 years, and it's tough to see how everything can be lost overnight."

Firefighters said that because the businesses were all closed at the time they faced some obstacles getting inside, where the fire found a lot of fuel to burn.

"The partitions in the building are all made of combustible wood," said FDNY Deputy Assistant Chief John Hodgens. "You have a lot of storage, a lot of cardboard and there's a lot of combustibles."

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries, authorities say. 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."