Brooklyn bodegas compete with chain stores by going modernPosted: Updated:
Many Brooklyn bodegas are competing with convenience stores and other local shops by going modern.
Several bodega owners say their strategy to survive competition is to become more tech savvy.
The changes are as simple as replacing an old cash register with a digital one that can monitor purchasing patterns and assist with product pricing.
Mohammed Awad, a bodega worker, tells News 12 that the technogology costs about $1,000 in addition to a monthly fee.
Awad says the register notifies him if he should change pricing or move products to different locations in the store. He says that when sugar sales were down, the register notified him. That led him to reduce the price of sugar and relocate it to the front of the store.
Awad says the product is now one of the more popular items in the store.
"If we keep bringing in chains it’s only going to gentrify and make Manhattan and all of the other boroughs more expensive,” said customer Brittini Bombino.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A terrifying scene was caught on camera Sunday as a man was shot in the head in Sheepshead Bay.A terrifying scene was caught on camera Sunday as a man was shot in the head in Sheepshead Bay.
- Investigamos quejas de la compañía Cash Flow.Investigamos quejas de la compañía Cash Flow.
- Residents are calling on the city to find a solution for what many say is a dangerous intersection in Coney Island.
- A new survey released by WalletHub says New York is the second least patriotic state in the U.S.A new survey released by WalletHub says New York is the second least patriotic state in the U.S.
- Police release new surveillance footage from Jussie Smollett investigation
- The BET Awards were held Sunday, June 23 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.The BET Awards were held Sunday, June 23 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
- Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.
- The bug-eyed, dreadlocked pooch took top honors Friday night at the 31st annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
- Are you or a loved one headed to the prom this year? We want to see your photos!Are you or a loved one headed to the prom this year? We want to see your photos!
- Dead & Company performed to a packed crowd at Citi Field on June 23.Dead & Company performed to a packed crowd at Citi Field on June 23.