DHS aims to shut down cluster housing by 2021Posted: Updated:
The Department of Homeless Services says it plans to eliminate the controversial cluster housing system by 2021.
"We're opening a smaller number of high-quality, borough-based shelters," said DHS Commissioner Steven Banks. "People can remain close to their job, closer to children's schools, closer to health care."
Cluster housing places homeless people in privately owned apartments. The program has faced opposition for years. Criticism intensified after a radiator accident in a Hunts Point cluster last year killed two toddlers.
Brooklyn is home to the second-most cluster sites out of the five boroughs, behind the Bronx. About 11,000 of the city's homeless people live in cluster sites.
Lisa Milhouse, who left her Brooklyn home with her two children after escaping a violent relationship, says she was placed in a cluster site that she remembers as "one of the worst places on Earth."
A cabinet there broke loose from the wall and almost landed on her 4-year-old, she says.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A Bronx woman is facing murder charges in connection to a homicide that happened in Brooklyn Thursday night.
- Police are searching for a man in connection to a robbery in Flatbush.Police are searching for a man in connection to a robbery in Flatbush.
- Meet two teens who are pitching in to help animals affected by the Australian wildfires.Meet two teens who are pitching in to help animals affected by the Australian wildfires.
- A 28-year-old man was fatally shot Saturday morning in Brownsville.A 28-year-old man was fatally shot Saturday morning in Brownsville.
- The On Barre - Barre Method works your lower body, including your thighs, glutes, hamstrings and calves.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!